I suggest you ...

Create a wiki to catalog answers and examples.

Create a database/wiki of frequently asked questions and answers in compilable code form. As an example, at least once a week someone will ask "How do I sort an array?". Rather than a member having to explain how to store the elements, where to find the sort function, etc every time this happens, we should simply add an entry to the examples database called "Sorting an array" and spend the few minutes that we would have spent explain it to a single person writing a brief description paragraph and some code that demonstrates a typical use case. I recently did this for an open source project I work on (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples) and it has reduced the daily work of members on the mailing list ENORMOUSLY. Once the database gets to a reasonable size (which doesn't actually take that long with lots of people helping!), an astonishing number of questions can now be answered in a single line reply - a link to one of these examples. When a question has not been seen before, if someone thinks that it is general enough to be useful in the future, it is added to the database. With 3/4 of a million members, these example databases (with the right overseeing) could quickly turn DaniWeb into not only a forum, but the main internet source of programming knowledge!

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    daviddoriaAdmindaviddoria (Admin, DaniWeb) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • daviddoriaAdmindaviddoria (Admin, DaniWeb) commented  · 

I have launched programmingexamples.net to serve this purpose. I'd still like Dani to maintain it, so continue to vote so she sees the interest!

Dave

Feedback and Knowledge Base